Saturday, September 29, 2012

Clearing the Garden

Our first foray into the community garden went fairly well, in my opinion. Sure, we missed out on a bounty of tomatoes because of our trip, but it worked out nicely because the Es got a boatload of tomatoes and they froze the ones that I wanted to freeze. They had a garden going but lost all of their tomatoes to blight, so this way, everyone wins, though I’m a little disappointed that we didn’t get to eat as many fresh tomatoes that we grew, but not too disappointed. After all, we got to eat fresh tomatoes in Italy, and it’s just a garden. You can’t put your life on hold for a few tomatoes.

Now that the garden is done and over, I’m guessing I need to go and clean the plot out. That means pulling up the plants and composting them, then harvesting the potatoes that I didn’t even plant, and then feeding the soil. It’s kind of nice because I think I can finally make some use of the compost that we’ve been creating since we moved in. Compost is amazing, it starts off as this foul, disgusting mess, then turns into soil. Beautiful stuff. Plus, our current compost bin is getting rather full, so I can empty one, put it on the garden, then start with an empty compost bin.

It’s been raining for the past few days, but at the first break in the weather, I’ll head on over and clean things up. Not completely looking forward to it, but it’ll be nice when it’s all done.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: