Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hearing From My Mom

When we were in Florence, the TV was on in the breakfast room and there was a news story, of all things, about wildfires in a section of LA where my mom lives. I thought, whoa, that’s kind of heavy if it’s being reported in Europe. I emailed her and asked if everything was okay, and as usual, she didn’t reply.

It was our last day in Europe, so I called her when I got home, expecting the usual cold shoulder and unpleasant conversation, but it was actually fairly civil. Sure, she had to jab me a few times, but I even told her I wasn’t going to fight with her, which always angers her and inspires her to hang up the phone, but we managed to weather that storm. It required that I suck up my pride and not engage. It worked out fine, and she even said she was going to send us something in the mail. The end of the cold war, perhaps? Too soon to tell.

Anyway, when I went to get the mail, it turns out that she had already sent me some information from my alma mater regarding the alumni association. When I graduated my parents got me a liftetime membership the alumni association, and about ten years ago they informed me that they had raised the dues and if I wanted to remain in the association, I had to pay. I told them to thanks, but no thanks.

I’m guessing my mom took care of it. Thanks to her, and yes, I did thank her. I’m not sure what to make of all this good will, but it’s better than being in the dog house, isn’t it?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to polarkreisthiele for the pic.

No comments: