Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Reflections on Hvar - Best Meal and More Good Vibes

We are currently in the capital of Croatia, Dubrovnik, and it's a pretty happening town, though we miss the sleepier little islands of Hvar and Korcula. Mind you, it's not that sleepy, but smaller than the big city in Dubrovnik.

Before I get too into the capital, I just wanted to mention how much we loved staying in Hvar, it was such a cool place, though I have to confess, a bit too Daytona Beach for me, at least in this stage of my life. I can understand being young and single and wanting to be where all the beautiful young people are, but now that I'm a parent, I just want a nice beach where we can all swim, a clean bed, and some good local food. We sure found that in Hvar.

The beach was a bit of a trek down this amazing staircase to the water, but there, we found plenty of small, rocky beaches where we could lay our towel and jump into the Adriatic. As I mentioned, the swimming here is fabulous, the water is so clear, and it's just the right temperature for a hot day. When it's cool and breezy, it can be a bit cool for my blood, but on those hot days, it's just right, and we have been swimming like crazy. A swims like a fish, she was born to be in the water, but N tends to be a bit more pensive, understandably. Swimming in the ocean is daunting, too, with the current, waves, and deep, dark water. A&N, however, have been undaunted, and they have been swimming in really deep water, as long as R or I is nearby. It's too cool for words, and I think it's magical for the kids to be able to dive really deep down and see the sea life. They're like little seals, and they love it. When we get cold, all it takes is a few minutes on the rocks and you're warmed up and ready for more.

Hvar is actually a big island and we took a cab to one of the other beaches and ate at this restaurant in Milna called Kod Barba Bozjeg. That's easy for you to say. It came highly recommended by TripAdvisor, and let me tell you, the food was amazing. Best meal I've had on this trip, and reasonably priced. The beach in Milna was actually nice, and we swam for a couple of hours and had a blast. Then we dried off and walked to the restaurant and ate like royalty. We had the bruschetta (not so special) and grilled vegetables, then I ate the Ribeye Steak, R got the seafood and spaghetti, A got the grilled squid, and N had the prawns. The seafood was amazing, as was the steak. The seafood pasta was filled with muscles and clams, which we learned the kids love. They wolfed them down. A's squid was excellent, though she was not as thrilled as I was, and N loved his prawns. Personally, I'm lukewarm when it comes to shrimp, but he loved it.

The guy who grills the food was so cool, he even let N help out with the grilling. I love when people are nice to the kids, it changes everything. After supper, we had the chocolate crepe, then walked around until the cab came to pick us up. We arranged for him to return to get us at 8:00, and sure enough, he showed up on the dot. He was a really nice kid, and asked us how our meal was and if we enjoyed our time in Milna. I love this place.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to RIC for the pics.

No comments: