Thursday, October 20, 2011

Our Final Market... Hallelujah

I can’t go on with my life without an entry about our final market. Now I was ready to call it a day and simply blow off the final market. Forces were pointing in this direction because the final market was complicated by the GOP debates, which were held on the Dartmouth campus. I guess Bloomberg news set up this big news center right where we were having the market, so we had to move the operation to the other end of the green. Several of the vendors we knew were not coming, and business has been slow. Do we need another reason to not go?

Well, there was the issue of selling off the remaining dumplings, which would have gone to waste, not to mention the concept of closure. There is something to be said about riding something out until the very end and leaving with a little pride and dignity, so we packed up the gear and headed over for the last market. My heart and mind were definitely not into it, and I proceeded to forget several important items. I had to borrow tongs from the Turkish food stand, and R and the kids had to run over to Yama to get some chopstick that I use when I cook. Also, for the first time, the propane in our tank ran out. In the past, I refilled it when it seemed low, but there was always about a gallon left inside. We use less than a gallon, so I figured we’d be okay, but we weren’t. The tank ran out just as the market was about to start, so after enduring the completely un-constructive and relentless scorn of my wife and kids, I ran over to CVS and got a new cannister. Now we have all this propane and nowhere to go, but more on that later.

The market was slow, once again, but we sold all of our dumplings and left on a positive note. It’s always sad to say goodbye to our market friends, but I won’t miss doing these dumplings. We packed up, hit the road, and closed another chapter in our life of adventure.

This, of course, begs the question: what next?

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Kaanon MacFarlane for the pic.

No comments: