Monday, October 24, 2011

Taking the Train to DC

We traveled to DC a little differently this time around and actually took the train. Normally we would have driven, and a plane would have been an option if not for the cost. The train was much cheaper, and a lot less stressful. The only downside, and for many I know it’s a significant one, was that it was a long ride, about 11 hours. I realize that for many of us, this is an intolerably long time to travel, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, I could have just sat there for the entire trip and looked out the window, read a book, and slept. My idea of a perfect vacation, actually. The one thing I worried about were the kids and how to entertain them, but they did a great job, and we brought along several movies and my laptop for them to watch on.

We caught the train in WRJ, though there is a closer stop, but it doesn’t really have a station. We opted for a place to park and a conductor on duty in case we had questions, and I always have questions. The closer stop is always there in a pinch, and we can get there in minutes, literally.

Our biggest concern was entertaining the kids for 11 hours, not an easy thing to do. They are fairly self-sufficient, but even the most imaginative kids will run out things to do for 11 hours. We brought along some card games and books, and also with my laptop, about a dozen movies. We checked them out of the library and got a couple of Netflix. Food is also a good way to kill time. The food on the train is horrible stuff, all pre-wrapped in plastic and microwaveable. Your basic junk food selection, and not what you want to feed your kids for an entire meal. I had to pack the food bag in less than half an hour, right before we left, so it was a bit of a scramble making sandwiches and packing snacks. We had plenty of food, just a little short on fruits and veggies, but we had apples, and that was enough to get us there.

Now the ride was long, no doubt about it, but I personally enjoyed it, thoroughly. R and I talked about how nice it was to take the train. Low stress getting to the train and boarding, and we loved watching the scenery go by out the window. I could have sat there and just watched it all day, or taken a nap, or read a book. That’s all I need. When you’re running around all day running errands and taking the kids to their activities and answering all their questions, you really appreciate quiet time just staring out a window and doing nothing. Or sleeping. Flying can be stressful, and even on the plane it’s hard to relax, but trains are like traveling in a lounge. Lots of space to rest and move around, and again, you feel way more connected to the scenery. It’s definitely more about the journey than flying.

One funny note was the food car worker. The attendant was one of those guys who you can tell hates not only his job, but people in general. He was so unfriendly and intimidating, and of course I managed to piss him off even more by going over there at least a half dozen times. The kids wanted hot chocolate, which for the record was listed on the board. When I asked, without even looking at me, he said, “I don’t have it.”

We had a longer stop in Claremont, and I went back and asked if he had hot chocolate, and I kid you not, he was quivering he was so irritated. So much for customer service. Kind of amusing, actually. I figured at the last stop they re-stocked their stuff, but he said they don’t re-stock until New York/Penn Station. Now you tell me. Looks like no hot cocoa for us. I think he started to warm up to me because when I went back to the umpteenth time to get a hot dog, he actually cracked a joke and said, “Are you sure that’s all?” Ha-ha. When you’re dealing with cranky people, you have to take what you can get.

Just to add a final amusing piece to the story, the same guy was working the food car on the train ride home, and he recognized me and said he had hot chocolate this time around. Too bad we already had some at Penn Station.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Johanna Ljungblom and jasen swafford for the pics.

No comments: