Friday, October 21, 2011

Reflections on DC

We had a really nice time in DC, and dare I say that I rather liked it there. I’m a big devotee of NYC, but the past couple of times we were there, I found it a bit overwhelming and maybe even a bit too much for me to handle. The noise, dirt, chaos and crowds just got to be too much, which is odd because those were the very things that I loved about the place. I’d heard DC was a bit more sterile and stiff, especially with the conservative atmosphere with all those politicians, and that’s kind what we found, but again, it wasn’t such a bad thing, especially with the kids. I don’t think I’d want them to see the things I saw when I lived in New York, it’s a bit overwhelming, even for an adult.

Either way, DC was clean and orderly, and there was a lot to do, not only for kids, but for adults. It struck me as a pretty young-ish town, hip and trendy, as well. I didn’t get a sense that there were a ton of politicians where we were, maybe just the young aspiring types, all stylish and in-shape. I’m guessing a more conservative crowd than NYC because you didn’t get the stylish and eccentric extremes that you see in the Big Apple, though there isn’t as much character, either.

We stayed at a nice, reasonably priced hotel, The Topaz, in an area known as Dupont Circle. I don’t know anything about the neighborhoods in DC, but this one was fine, not too much crime from what I could gather. It was within walking distance to the Metro and plenty of restaurants, so we were not in want of food. The restaurants seemed to cater to my type of crowd, fairly healthy and not too expensive, a step above fast food. I didn’t spot too many expensive restaurants, which I prefer to avoid, for numerous reasons.

What I really liked about the Topaz was that they catered to hip young folks, but also were very family and kid friendly, giving them welcome packages and even offering them child-size robes. If you were inspired, they’d bring a fish tank to your room that you could keep during your stay. We took the robes but balked at the fish, much to the dismay of the kids. The staff was very friendly, and they even had a deal with the local YMCA to use their facilities, which we did - we went swimming. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable, though the place was on a city scale, which meant on the small side. Small elevator, small bathrooms, etc. It had a very European feel, which is fine with me, I love Europe. Basically, the place had character rather than the generic, cookie cutter feel of most hotel chains.

We tried to squeeze in as much of the city as we could, eating at places we couldn’t find in Vermont (i.e., ethnic food) and seeing as much of our government as possible. We did the White House and all the monuments, and then went to see where our currency is made. All in all, the government stuff was a bit of a bore. We went to see the monuments at night, which was a bit of an adventure because for whatever reason, we decided to walk there, and it must have been about two miles. The kids were troopers, and we took it all in, from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln. It’s pretty impressive, but that’s the point, right?

I think the most fun was at the museums, specifically the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum. Pretty cool place, amazingly well done, but that’s what tax dollars get you. The place is huge, and loads of fun. I kept thinking R’s dad, RR, would have loved the place, as would PR, but I’m guessing he’s been there. We could have spent a few days in that place, there’s so much to see. Tons of planes and spaceships and even a flight simulator that the kids loved.

We arrived on the weekend that they were unveiling a statue of Martin Luther King, so there were plenty of crowds out and about. It was interesting to see. We spent another day just walking around and cruising the different neighborhoods, which are different than what you see in NYC. The areas in New York are very distinct and often run along ethnic or demographic lines, and you can see the shift. In DC, it’s all more homogenous, so it takes more effort to find certain things. We even walked to Georgetown, which in the end is all about high end shopping, not unlike certain sections of NYC. You see what fuels our economy, which is kind of sad.

Of course, we couldn’t leave a trip without getting some swim time, the kids insist on it. We went over the Y and spent some time in the pool, which was really meant for doing laps, but they reserve one lane for play. We spent a couple of hours in the water, which was pretty cold, so you had to keep moving.

All in all, we really enjoyed DC, and I’d go back in a flash. Eating can get expensive, but we found tasty food that was healthy, so we felt good about it. Plus, it’s our nation’s capital, so it warrants a visit from everyone. FYI, all the museums and exhibits are free of charge, though we all pay for it, in the end.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Nicolas Raymond for the pic.

No comments: