Monday, October 3, 2011

Sixteenth Market and Light at the End of the Tunnel

Two more markets left to go. No complaints on this end. Well, there’s always something for dad to complain about (why not one instead of two?), but I’ll keep it under wraps for now.

The previous week that we missed was a busy one, so we were told, and we figured as much. It was the first week with the students back full time, and it was the one day where the weather was beautiful, so it makes perfect sense. We couldn’t make it for various familial obligations, but we weren’t complaining. Time off from dumplings is like time off for good behavior.

Everyone figured that the next week was going to be a busy one, us included. We even got an email from the manager saying that it was busy and that people were asking about our dumplings. I.e., get to work and be there for the market. Even the weather cooperated on some level, and it stopped raining.

Even in light of all that, the overall market seemed a bit slow. Even S stopped by and commented on how slow it was, and it seemed to have all this potential. When we arrived, there were about six or seven tour buses parked along the street, and people figured that meant more business. There were lots of people milling about, but they all disappeared once the market started, and it was a pretty light day. Sure, there were the usual moments of busy-ness, but in the end, it was slow.

I’m fairly ambivalent about it all, what we didn’t sell we can carry over to the next week, which means that there are fewer dumplings to make for the next market. I personally think the big city market should have ended in September, but that’s just my bad attitude talking.

Now I have to make dumplings, and I am not excited about it, but I figure two more weeks to go, and then I can live the fabulous life of leisure that I long for.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to John Nyberg for the pic.

No comments: