Saturday, October 15, 2011

Scrambling to Help Bake and Fry

Since our lives are so boring and so uneventful, we helped out with the food for a symposium that I-KODI was holding regarding food, shelter and education for kids in Kenya. Also, to add to the fun, I said I would help out with the Woodstock Youth Hockey bake sale. This meant, at the minimum, baking something for the sale, and if I could, spend time at the tent selling the stuff.

That Saturday was quite a scramble. R planned on spending most of the day at the symposium. They were serving lunch, and MD, who was in charge of food, asked if we could fry her samosas since like most people, she didn’t really have the facility to deep fry things. This meant that I had to set up all of our dumpling stuff, but I was happy to help.

Before all that fun, however, I had to bake stuff for the sale. I also had a deadline to write that library letter, and N had a golf lesson in the afternoon. I was about 75% done with the letter, so I wasn’t too worried. Either way, first thing in the morning, I made cookie bars and a apple bundt cake for the bake sale. I have bad luck with bundt cake pans, the cake always takes a bit of a beating, but there was no time to worry about that.

R left soon after breakfast to attend to the meeting. I was supposed to bring the samosas over by noon at the latest, but preferably before that. This meant that we had to get to the bake sale to drop off the goods, then off to the symposium to drop off the food. The parents at the bake sale were so nice, and it was the first time we got to meet most, if not all, of them. There were several kids there that are part of the hockey program, and N got to meet a bunch of them, as did I. I think hockey moms give soccer moms a run for their money.

After we dropped off the goods, we jetted over to Lebanon and met with R, who directed us to MD, who was scrambling upstairs to prepare the feast. The kids and I stuck around and helped, because she was all by herself. We carted the stuff downstairs and were prepared to go over to Au Bon Pain for lunch, but they insisted we stay and dine. Say no more, MD is an amazing cook, so we feasted on African food and hung out. Kind of a serious crowd, however, so we didn’t really stick around and chat.

Plus, we had golfing to do. We drove (no pun intended) over to the driving range and N had his lesson while A and I hit some buckets. It was at this time when I cracked my club, which is a bummer, but c’est la vie. After we got ice cream, and then drove back out to the big city to meet mom and have supper. Nobody was hungry at that point, so we just went to the library, got some books, and came home. Boy were we tired. It ain’t easy trying to be helpful.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to michaelaw for the pic.

No comments: