Sunday, April 14, 2013

Careful What You Wish For

I was all excited about looking for a job when the reality of it all set in: I started getting call backs and interviews. In the past, whenever I’ve looked for employment, the process seemed to take months. This time around, I got responses immediately, and it sort of complicated things. The reality is, I wasn’t really prepared to start working right away. I more or less wanted to test the waters and see what was out there, maybe get some nibbles and see what my options were, but as I’ve learned, be careful what you wish for.

I called one hotel for a housecleaning job and a bigger inn/resort for a receiving position and they both called me back for interviews. Boy was I surprised. My first impulse was to say no thank you, but how could I flake out like that? Also, it would be closing the door on those opportunities, and like my friend JZ once said, never turn down a job you haven’t been offered.

I have mixed feelings on the whole process, because I’m a big believer that if you need income, you do what you have to do, and you shouldn’t turn your nose up at a job when it means employment. On the other hand, is it worth drastically altering your lifestyle for what is really not that much money? Maybe not yet, so I had to address the situation. The situation was complicated by the fact that I didn’t want to completely close the door, so I couldn’t just ignore them and walk away. This is also a bad way to live your life. Believe me, I’d done my fair share of it as a teenager.

Anyway, things have quieted down, I am not going to pursue a new job just yet. One might say that I initiated things a bit prematurely, and I regret taking up their time, but that’s the process of looking for employees, right? I also tried to end things on a responsible note by informing them of my decision, when in fact I could have just let things fizzle out, thereby closing any doors I may have open.

Hopefully, I won’t have to re-open them, but only time will tell. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to bianks for the pic.

No comments: