Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring Cleaning Helpers

Once the snow melts you’re reminded of all the work that lies ahead during the spring and summer months. The first order of business is cleaning the yard, which entails picking up countless twigs and sticks that litter the yard, and then raking up leftover leaves and debris that accumulated during the winter, not to mention stuff that got left behind last year.

Raking is definitely my least favorite job, and every fall I dread it, but it needs to be done. At times I can get into the Zen mindset and simply plug along, but for the most part, it’s just not that enjoyable. Spring raking is not as bad, maybe the break from yard work re-energizes me, or I’m just happy to be outside in the warm weather.

This time around, the kids helped out, as well. I was raking the front yard and A and N both asked if they could help. Of course, my first impulse was to say I was fine, but then I realized how silly that was. The kids wanted to help, and I could always use a little assistance. They grabbed rakes and together we finished the front lawn... and had fun, to boot.

We also built a bonfire to burn off scraps of wood, and then we roasted hot dogs for lunch. What a great day. It helped that the weather was so nice, but it’s nice to spend time with the kids outside. It’s what life is all about, right?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Damian Cugley for the pic.

No comments: