Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Thrown a Curve

Sometimes I wonder why I bother investing so much time into hockey, then I remember, it’s for the kids, stupid. Either way, this whole girl’s hockey thing has been a pain in the neck, and now the situation has gotten even more convoluted. I was trying to talk to the other programs of somehow working things out, and I was even talking to the president of the Hartford team when it became clear that he was giving me the run around. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, but he was saying a lot without saying a thing. I ended walking away thinking he was just toying with me, not in a malicious way, but clearly evading my inquiries.

Then, a couple of days later, I learned why. I talked with DS, the main man in the big city program, and he just came right out and said that things were in motion, and we were out of the picture. Basically the other two programs decided to merge with the big guys to make a mega-super-power team. The rich get richer, as the saying goes.

This also explained why the other guy was yanking my chain. He knew all our talk was a waste of time because a plan had already been hatched. The question is, why didn’t he just come right out and say it, rather than waste my time while confusing the heck out of me?

Either way, what’s going on makes some sense, even if it leaves us a little on the periphary. I think we’re on the outside by choice. The other three programs had been in talks about forming a mega-team in this area, which would have basically fallen under the auspices of the big city team. This makes sense, they are already the most powerful team in the state, so why not have them lead the way. I think what happened is that it was presented in a way that suggested that we would get their players that didn’t make the cut, while taking our best. I think this offended our representatives, so they declined to take part.

I think this was a mistake, because what is happening would have happened anyway. The best want to go to the big city program, and they have a surplus of talent. The girls that don’t make the cut are left without a team, and they have the option of coming to our program. This is just how things play out.

So that’s where we stand. We still don’t know what the future holds, and I don’t really see a resolution in sight, but time will tell.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Luvvida for the pic.

No comments: