Thursday, April 18, 2013

Taken by Surprise

I can’t believe it, but we got one more snowfall, and did it ever take us by surprise (though it made things pretty). I realize it’s April and we should expect the unexpected, but I sure didn’t expect this, and it was a fair amount of snow. To compound the matter, it was the icy wet stuff, and the roads were a little nasty. Finally, to further complicate things, I had the kid’s friends with me that day, so I had to really be careful.

It started out simple enough. There was no school that day, so HH asked if we could watch her kids. We went over to pick them up and hung out for a couple of hours, then headed over to see mom at the hospital for lunch. They were doing an i-KODI benefit, with homemade African food. I figured it was a good opportunity to support the cause and get the kids out of the house. Also, it was a good chance to raise some awareness in the kids, but most importantly, get them away from home and Facebook. HH’s oldest is a teenager and addicted to social media, like all teenagers. We don’t do Facebook here, so I didn’t want to do battle with her because she doesn’t take no for an answer.

Either way, we headed over to the hospital and the snow started. Lunch was nice, we got to see mom and hang, but by the time we headed home, there was a fair amount of accumulation on the ground. It was a little precarious, so we took the slow, easy way home. The plan was to go to the library, and then their parents would come get them. A&N had hockey that evening, so by the time we left, HH had arrived to get her kids, and we were off and running.

At the rink, not that many kids showed up, so I put on my skates and played with them. It was fun, we got a good workout, and mom came to meet us. We went to Boloco for supper, and then home for the night. My kind of evening,

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to jorgedecorte for the pic.

No comments: