Monday, April 29, 2013

Up and Away

First day of our vacation, and as usual, we’re going down to the wire. We scrambled to pack last night, though warm weather trips require much less in terms of stuff. I can’t imagine how much stuff you’d need to go somewhere cold. In fact, how do people manage ski vacations, not to mention the cost?

Either way, we’re off, and as usual, there are all the pre-travel anxieties. Traveling really is a good lesson in how to lighten up, because there are so many reasons not to do it, and yet whenever we travel, it is an awesome experience. Even still, it takes an enormous amount of energy and wherewithal to motivate and be inspired. You really have to love traveling to overcome the inertia and pre-travel jitters. We are fortunate to have mom for that, because left to my own devices, I would take the easier, more timid/afraid route and just stay home. There are a million things that need to be done around the house.

Also lucky for us is the fact that the kids enjoy traveling, but who doesn’t love going to the beach? I am hoping that we can get some surfing in this trip, but I’ve learned that unless you really go for it, it can’t be the central focus of the trip. To do that, you really have to plan on going somewhere like California or Florida and just stay near the beach. Then you can get some surfing in, because it takes a bit of effort to get a board and make it to the waves, i.e., you have to make it as easy as possible, especially when you’re traveling with kids. It also becomes an issue of priorities, because I would go to great lengths to transport my board and get to the waves, but I may be alone in that level of willingness and dedication, at least for now.

I think Hawaii would work out nicely, or maybe a trip to California to see... gulp, my mom.

Either way, we have to catch an early bus and then we’re off to Logan. It’s always nice just getting started, then the trip is moving and I don’t have to fret anymore about preparation. It’s done, time to move on.

We’re supposed to reach PR in the evening, so I probably won’t be able to post for a bit. Stay tuned for more.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Heaven`s Gate (John) for the pic.

No comments: