Saturday, July 18, 2015

Deer Not Looking So Dear

I enjoy looking at a beautiful and graceful deer just as much as the next person, but lately they've become a nuisance, eating various plants and flowers around the house. I don't have such a warm and fuzzy feeling for them anymore. We used to enjoy seeing them wandering into our yard, taking little nibbles of the trees and bushes on the edge of the woods, but last year they almost destroyed one of the blueberry bushes. Sacrilege. This year I put up a makeshift deer fence around the blueberry patch and it seems to have done the trick, though they then turned their attention to the the hostas and other decorative shrubs near the house. We started noticing that several of the plants had all of the flowers chewed off, and the deer were exhibiting rather brazen attitudes; they were unfazed by our presence and were encroaching closer and closer to the house.

That was pretty much the last straw. Now, when I see a deer, I run out the door and scare them off. Mom said not to be mean about it, but how else am I going to send a message not to mess with our plants? I tell you, life ain't easy in the wilds of New England.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to trumpeterny for the pic.


No comments: