Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Slow Heal

My body is constantly reminding me that old age is setting in, or should I say, has set in? I feel like all my joints and muscles are in pain, and needless to say, it gives me ample occasion to whine and moan. Just ask my kids, whom I can always count on to deny me any semblance of sympathy.

I think a large source of my suffering stems from a fairly active lifestyle, mainly with the kids. I have a recurring injury in my right shoulder that is screaming rotator cuff problem. It flairs up regularly but this time around it seems to be particularly bothersome because the pain doesn't seem to go away. It all began with throwing the frisbee, both in disc golf and in UF. About two weeks ago N and I went disc golfing in Barre and I tend to throw the disc hard, trying for distance rather than accuracy. This often fails to achieve the desired effect, but that's beside the point. A day or so later we played UF, and the next morning my shoulder was killing me. I couldn't even lift my hand over my head. The problem was, the pain didn't go away. It seemed to subside a little, but my right arm was definitely compromised.

We missed a week of UF because of another event so I thought it would be a good chance to let it heal, but the funny thing is, you tend to need your shoulder when you're doing real-man in training work around the house, especially chopping wood. I started to think that I am a candidate for surgery, but am reluctant to go under the knife for a variety of reasons. Another problem I'm having, again stemming from UF but also trail riding, is my hip, or rather, hips. They are always sore and it makes it hard to sleep because of the discomfort.

I'm thinking I'm going to have to really do a lot of stretching when we play UF again, and start throwing the frisbee with my left hand. This should be interesting.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ivana Cast for the pic.

No comments: