Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Fun Continues

We were watching over the A&I after our big sleepover, which went wonderfully well BTW, and the plan was for HH to come and get the girls, and then I was to take the kids on the usual bunch of excursions before A’s guitar practice, which for the record, I screwed up because she did not have an actual practice, but more on that later.

The sleepover was a lot of fun (for the kids, not us). HH came over, we made pizza and salad for supper, and we hung out and had a nice time. HH went home and the kids watched a movie and then retired up to A’s room, where I had moved the bed to make room on the floor. The kids lined up four sleeping bags and sacked out. I was expecting them to fall asleep sometime after midnight, but they actually went down before 11:00. I was surprised.

Since it’s April vacation, there is no school, so the girls didn’t need to be anywhere the next day, and they could sleep in. HH had to work, and she planned on coming the next day around 1:00 to pick them up. I started formulating my ideal day where the kids would wake up around 11:00, eat breakfast and goof around, and then I’d only have to watch them for about 2 hours.

This, of course, is not how it worked out. They woke up early, around 7:30, and asked for pancakes for breakfast. We usually reserve for them for Sunday, but this was a special day, so I got to work making the batter, which takes a bit of time because they are multi-grain and require numerous ingredients. We never do things the easy way around here.

Well, as luck would have it, the kids played upstairs for a couple of hours, finally coming down around 10:00 to eat. The pancakes were ready and they hit the ground running, though N expressed his disappointment that there was no bacon. Our friends are vegetarians, so we were going to skip the meat, but then I announced that they eat some meat, and that she loved bacon. Say no more. I cooked up some bacon and then everyone said they needed more pancakes, so I had to whip another batch. I felt like Mel on Alice.

After about 40 pancakes, the kids were finally sated, and I had to clean up, but it was worth it because they had so much fun, and we killed at least an hour eating. They then got dressed and went out to play.

I figured it was a good time to get some work done, so I got out the chainsaw and started in on the wood pile. HH actually showed up early, and then phase two or our day kicked in. The kids all wanted to go over to their house, which actually freed me up to run massive errands without have to subject them to the pain.

It worked out well, and I got a lot done. What I had originally planned to do in two days, I did in one, and the kids didn’t have to suffer through it all. Even better, they got to hang with their best friends. I think it works well for HH because her kids have fun playing and she is free to get work done, as well.

I love when that happens. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Billy Alexander for the pic.

No comments: