Thursday, April 28, 2011

Sports Complications

We had our sports program all figured out, and then out of nowhere, some serious complications set in. I guess it wouldn’t be our lives if we didn’t a few bumps along the way. It’s a by-product of living the adventure.

N was all set to play hockey this summer. I had literally scrambled and jumped through enormous hoops to get all the equipment he needed, which was a ridiculous amount of stuff. The man who was in charge of the program at Union Arena, VC (a great guy), was extremely helpful and encouraging, and even indicated that N would be a great fit. N was excited, and I was happy to help.

Then, out of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, Union Arena fired VC. I’m sure there’s a story in there, but he was a very well-liked person who did great things at the arena. Firing him was like shooting yourself in the foot, he brought people and money in, and the community loved him. I was shocked, not to mention bummed because our big supporter for hockey was now gone.

They are offering other programs for young kids, so we’ll see what happens, but the air of warmth and fun is greatly diminished in light of the present circumstances. I’m not sure what to make of it all.

Also, N want to play baseball, and also as usual, they can’t find parents to coach. I know I’m on the short list because I’ve coached in the past, and I’m happy to help again, but I really don’t want to be a head coach. I can handle our own kids, but being in charge of a large group of them terrifies me. I wouldn’t mind doing everything else, organizing schedules, contacting parents, and even being in charge of the equipment. I just don’t want to be the one in charge of all those bodies. I could never be a teacher.

To add to all this drama is the fact that we’re going to miss some of the season. This is a bummer, but not the end of the world, because N has strong baseball fundamentals, and he’s got a lot of other things going on. We shall see.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Nathaniel :: Tutvid.com and Patti Gray for the pics.

No comments: