Monday, April 4, 2011

Gearing Up For Spring/Summer

Now that Spring is right around the corner, we have to start planning for a whole new set of activities. The ones that we are involved in now will come to an end, and then I have to search for others. Life never stops being interesting.

For N, there are summer sports which will include baseball and, if you can believe this, hockey. I’m dreading baseball because I’m worried that I’m going to be drafted into coaching. I can handle being an assistant, but head coaching jobs make me sweat. No thank you. I do think N likes the fact that I’m there with him, however, and that makes it all worthwhile.

They also have hockey summer league, which covers all skill levels. The one we are interested in is to introduce kids to hockey and prepare them for actual competition. Not that we want to get hardcore, but I really think N is a natural, the guy in charge of the ice rink programs even agreed. He’s such a good skater, and after watching the program first hand, I know he could hang.

The kids have indicated that they want to play tennis, and I think they should take lessons, but they don’t want to. I may be able to sneak them in if there is incentive for it, namely other friends who are playing. I’ll work on that one, because as it stands, they just want to out and hit the ball around, and their tennis game is fairly non-existent. I think they’d enjoy it more if they knew the fundamentals, which they refuse to learn from me.

Hopefully it will be warm enough to swim, but I’d like to avoid the Hartland Dam. I’m still suspicious of that water, and it’s always a little grimy and a bit smelly, but that could be my imagination. There will be assorted summer camps, and also for A, theater and drama. The local community theater won’t be doing a show this year, but there are all sorts of venues for her to work with other kids and do drama, even serious stage productions. I think she’d like it. N might be able to take part through stage production because he’s not into the acting thing, but we’ll see how that transpires. Also, I’d like for A do to some video production or computer animation.

All in all, we could very well have a busy summer. Actually, we will have a busy summer, no doubt about it, but that’s not a bad thing. We just have to work a little harder, especially in light of all the other stuff that we need to do, like build a barn, cut firewood, home improvement, yard maintenance, and the farmer’s market.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Alfred Borchard for the pic.

No comments: