Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Sleepover Surprise

About a month ago, the kids were asking for a sleepover, and wanting to be more spontaneous, we were ready to go for it. When I was a kid, we were never allowed to have friends over, and sleepovers were once in decade occurrence. Even when it happened, it was sort of forced, and not a lot of fun. There was always so much planning involved.

Now that I’m a parent, I don’t necessarily want kids streaming in and out of our house, but I also don’t want to make such a big deal of things. That includes having visitors and even friends over for a sleepover. We run into this situation fairly regularly because we see our friends a lot and they are always inquiring about sleeping over. This, of course, puts me on the spot, and I have to scramble to respond, when in fact, it’s no big deal.

Last time, we kind of fell into the planning thing. Rather than have the kids sleep over that night, we said we’d do it the next day. When that time arrived, A came down with a cold, and we had to cancel. We anticipated the event coming up again soon, but weeks passed and something always seemed to take its place. I kind of figured it was done and over.

Until yesterday, that is. We were watching over the girls during the day, and when HH came to get them, the question was brought up again. On the spot as usual, I just said what the heck, let’s do it. We could make pizza and have HH over for supper, as well. The one catch was that we couldn’t reach mom at work, so when she came home, she was greeted with a surprise after a long day at work. I tried warning her, but it worked out fine. Sometimes you have to make an executive decision and deal with the consequences.

It was actually fun, the kids enjoyed making and eating the pizza, and they watched a movie on the computer. I moved A’s bed around to make space on the floor, and they all sacked out in their sleeping bags. Believe it or not, I think they fell asleep before midnight. I know I sure did.

Today they girls will hang out until HH comes to get them, but that’s fine, because they have fun playing, they’re really good kids. Plus, as they play, I can actually get work done around the house. I know we’ve been down this road before with YKW, but we watched her for two straight weeks, eight hours a day, and I get a sense HH is acutely aware of asking for too many favors.

The question now becomes, what to make for breakfast. Until then, thanks for reading, and thank to michaelaw for the pic.

No comments: