Monday, April 4, 2011

High Fidelity

The stereo in our old car has been broken for so long, I can’t even remember when it actually worked. It came with the car and within a couple of years, it stopped working. Typical stock stereo. We never got around to fixing it because it wasn’t such a big deal, and in the end, I wasn’t even sure where to go get a stereo. Life went on and we were fine.

When we got our new car, it was suddenly fun to have music in the car again. I like to listen to NPR when I go to work, and the kids love to hear their favorite songs, which is made all the more enjoyable when they can burn their own CDs and listen to them. Naturally, this inspired me to look into buying a new car stereo. I spoke to R about this and she seemed amenable to the idea.

The first issue was where to look. Growing up in LA, you car stereo shops grow on trees, as well as places to install them, which is ironic when you realize that if you own even a moderately decent stereo in that town, it will, without question, get stolen. Here in Vermont, I wasn’t sure where to go. With a little investigation, I found out that there is only one game in town when it comes to car stereos, and that’s Best Buy. We’d never even stepped foot inside that store before.

I did some initial research online, and found out that if we decided to move forward, we could get a stereo and have it installed for about $100. Not the end of the world, but I’m still not sure if it’s really necessary and will have to ruminate on this one. I waver back and forth on this topic, so we’ll see where we end up.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to CLIFF HOWARD for the pic.

No comments: