Monday, April 11, 2011

Time for a Piano?

Personally, I think it would be nice to have a piano in the house. The previous owners actually had one in the barn, but we weren’t interested at the time, mainly because it was collecting mold and dust in the barn, so they discarded it. Fast forward to today, where our daughter is taking lessons and enjoying them. Also, I would love to have a piano to dabble with, and I think even R and N would enjoy it, but the debate rages over whether we will truly use the piano if we got one.

In some ways, I wonder, does it really matter? Pianos are like furniture, you don’t necessarily have to play them, they just look good in your house. Now I’m not one to waste money, but we’ve been offered a few pianos for free. The only expense would be to move the thing, and we know enough people with trucks and strong backs to get the job done. Ideally, we would use my Mentors ultimate real-man truck, but he’s up in Maine.

Either way, we’ve reached a point where A needs pedals for her playing. We have an electric keyboard that is not perfect, but does the job. The only problem is, it is lacking in a few areas. First off, there isn’t a complete set of notes, which isn’t a factor, yet. The second problem is that keys are not touch sensitive, i.e., you can’t modify the loudness of the note but pressing lightly. What you hear is what you get.

And finally, it doesn’t have pedals. This, I’ve just learned, is something we can address because they actually make damper/sustain pedals, and they make them for our actual keyboard. Or rather, should I say, they carry the exact one we need at Blue Mountain Guitar. This amazes me because our keyboard is not a top of the line item, yet we can get this accessory. I love when that happens. I’ve also been told that this will suffice until we take the plunge and get the real deal, which I really believe will one day happen.

For now, we’ll make due with what we got. What choice do we have? Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Robert Walker for the pic.

No comments: