Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Big Hockey Weekend and Catching a Break

I’m behind on this blog and am trying (failing?) to catch up. We had a huge hockey weekend this past weekend, but before I get too into that, we also had a huge hockey weekend two weeks ago, and we could have another huge one next weekend. How crazy is that?

We were supposed to travel up to Burlington two weeks ago for the big jamboree, but they had problems at the arena and the weekend was cancelled. Big bummer, the kids were disappointed, but I have to confess that I’m feeling a little fried by all the hockey. It’s one thing to spend every day at Union Arena like we are, but going up to Burlington for a few days of fun in the sun is an exhausting proposition, not to mention an expensive one.

Now I don’t mean to be a wet blanket about all this, and my kids would be disparaging of me for admitting it, but I was a little relieved. It would have been a blast, and the kids were really looking forward to it, but truth be told, it would have been a hectic weekend, and many of us wouldn’t be getting too much in the way of sleep. I’ll leave it at that.

Being the incredible go-getter that he is, DF pulled off this amazing feat and organized a last minute jamboree on our home ice. With the help of one of the dads, they somehow got all these teams to show up with zero notice and the kids got to have a tournament, after all. Pretty incredible stuff. I don’t know how he does it, but DF is Mr. Hockey. Either way, the tournament was great, and we didn’t have to travel to Great White North to play in it. We’re grateful for that, and as a result, we got to go to more Dartmouth hockey games. How’s that for taking a break from hockey? Go to more hockey games.

Actually, I love going to Dartmouth games, the season is basically over. We caught the last of the men’s home games, and the beginning of the women’s playoffs. Fun stuff. Then we spent the weekend watching the kids play hockey. In fact, this worked out beautifully, because N got have his last hurrah in goal. He was mad at me because he didn’t get his last chance to be goalie before the season was over. Of course it was my fault, I don’t mind taking the blame because it sort of is, but that’s another story. Either way, he was simmering also because the last game when he was supposed to play in goal, there weren’t enough players to field two goalies, so he again missed out. It’s not that he longs to be a goalie, but more that he just wanted one more turn.

Well, at the jamboree, he got his chance. 6 periods of it, and I’m glad for that. Now we can move on with our lives.

So things worked out, and now we have more hockey to look forward to for the rest of our lives. Hey, you make your bed and sleep in it, right? We wouldn’t want it any other way.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to P. J. McAdie for the pic.

No comments: