Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Finally Some Snow, Snow Day, and Skiing

We finally got some of the white stuff, and in an odd way, the timing is somewhat fortuitous because we haven’t really had a lot of free time ski, what with hockey taking over our lives. Now I’m not qualified to say, being a Flatlander and all, but most people in the know agree that it’s been a strange, if not troubling, winter. Usually we get an occasional big snow storm to make everything white, but this winter has been a bust. Sure, we got a big dumping in October, but that was over and done quickly. The ski hills have been suffering, especially since they didn’t get any snow for the two big holiday weeks.

Anyway, the big storm finally came, and dumped anywhere from 8 to 10 inches. Not as much as some storms, but hey, I’m not complaining. They even closed the schools, which meant time to hang with friends in school. We’d had a tentative playdate in the afternoon, but had to cancel due to weather. However, with our day free, we thought it would be a great chance to hit the slopes, on the condition, of course, that our driveway would get plowed.

Sure enough, KB showed up in the AM and cleared a path, and we were good to go. The plan was as follows - meet our friends here, load the kids in one car, and I would follow with the equipment. The one thing you notice about winter sports, including hockey and skiing, is that there is a ton of equipment, and it can be heavy. It makes a mess in the mudroom, as well.

Okay, enough of my whining. We had a great day of skiing, and saw pretty much half the people we know at the S6. I had spoken with CH about skiing, and she was non-committal by the time we were ready to go. I told her we were going no matter what, so maybe that motivated her a bit, because she did show up later, and it worked out beautifully.

We got there around 11:00, and it was snowing constantly. Really pretty out there. The lodge was packed, and we saw several of our hockey family friends, not to mention Waldorf family friends. It made for a fun day of skiing. Our group worked out perfectly, as well. A got to ski with her buddy A and sometimes LG, HH skied with I, N skied the day with CH, and I got to ski all by my lonesome. When was the last time that happened?

The conditions were great, but if I had to be a whiner, and I am a whiner, the powder was thick enough to make it a little more challenging than I prefer. I liked it packed so I can whiz down the hill, but with chunks of powder, I felt myself losing control and had to slow things down. It would have actually been a good day for snowboarding, but one thing at a time here.

We ate lunch in the lodge, which for the record cost more than our lift tickets, and then skied until closing. The kids skied until the very last minute, and then we re-convened in the lodge to warm up and hang with the thousands of kids that were there. It was quite the scene, and I got to reconnect with friends I hadn’t seen in months. It was a really nice time.

After skiing, we headed home and of course the kids didn’t want it to end. I had the girls over for supper so HH could have some down time. The original plan was to make this take and bake pizza from the Coop, which are a great deal. They’re huge, and we like them. I whipped together some veggies and baked the pie, and the kids ate supper. R and I figured we could wing it, as long as the kids get a healthy meal. They then watched a movie and then I took the girls home since they had school the next day.

What a great day, and it was all transpired without much in the way of planning. I love when that happens. It just goes to show you, even when you homeschool, snow days are fun.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Bahman Farzad and Pauljh for the pics.

No comments: