Sunday, March 25, 2012

Snow and Summer Tires

I went to get our summer tires put on, and usually it’s a pain because it’s not only a bit costly, but the place we go to, Interstate Tires, doesn’t take appointments. It’s first come, first served, and during peak season you can wait for hours if you don’t get there early. I could have made an appointment with our mechanic, which in retrospect I should have done because I realize I’m not really saving any money, but it also takes about a week to get in, and I wanted to get those tires changed.

The goal here is to maximize fuel efficiency and prolong the life of those darn snow tires, which are expensive. The snow wasn’t bad this year, anyway, though the mud has been terrible.

Interstate opens at 8:00, and I usually shoot to get there around 7:30 to be in the top three in line. This ensures that I can get out in about 30 minutes and home in time for R to go to work. Well, if you can believe this, I got there and read my book, and by the time they opened, I was the only person there. I was shocked. I guess people have already dealt with their tires, or they wait until the end of March, even though there’s no snow. I know a lot of people who do their snow tires on a tight schedule, regardless of the conditions. Snow tires on by Nov. 1, off by Apr. 1, no questions asked.

It makes life simpler, if not a bit rigid and predictable. Such is life. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to www.ericcastro.biz for the pic.

No comments: