Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Drummer Boy

This only took half a year, but we finally scored a drum for N, and I found it, of all places, on CraigsList. Can you believe it? I know there are tons of things for sale on that site, but this one was being sold in town, about a 5 minute drive from our house. I was so stoked.

Now N’s drum teacher has said on a number of occasions that he’s ready for a real drum. The drum pad only gets you so far, and she said he would benefit from feeling the sticks hit a real drum since he’s clearly learning how to play. Say no more. Time for dad to go on yet another neurotic quest to fill a need and find a bargain at the same time.

Now we could have simply gone to Blue Mountain and picked up a new snare drum for about $100, but even his teacher said you can find used ones for a fraction of the price. I started scouring the classifieds and asking around, but after months, no such luck. Also, in typical N fashion, he didn’t want to be a burden and casually said he didn’t need an actual drum. He thought it would be too noisy and was fine just using the drum pad. I know he was just trying to be nice about it, which I’ll explain later.

It was bit of a chore finding a drum, but I finally found one on Craigslist, and the guy was in our town. It took some doing to coordinate times, but I finally got over there and we closed the deal. I didn’t know it at the time, but the drum came with the stand, as well. Hallelujah! That saved us another $50-60.

Now as I mentioned, N was reluctant to get a new drum, which I felt was him being accommodating, but when he saw the drum, he was thrilled and immediately started playing it. Afterward, I asked him how he liked his drum, to which he replied, “Awesome!” Say no more. As a parent, you really have to become adept at recognizing the difference between what is said and what is meant.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: