Thursday, March 1, 2012

End of the Season

We closed out N’s regular hockey season over in Bellows Falls, I believe, playing Pleasant Valley, or PVA. The team is based in Saxons River and plays at the Vermont Academy, a prep school down in that area. It’s about an hour away, but a nice drive along the 91. I actually got to know several of the families because they attended DF’s summer hockey camps, and they are all really nice people, really down to earth and genuine. In fact, one of the moms, whom I saw again at this game, was the same person who saved my life at the first hockey camp by walking me through how to put on hockey equipment. I remember getting to the camp late, I was still learning the drill. When we arrived, all the kids were in gear and ready to take the ice, and we weren’t even dressed yet. N and I ran into the locker room and opened up the hockey bag, and my first thought was, “What the heck am I supposed to do first?” This mom was there and she helped me with everything. What a learning experience.

Anyway, we had our last game, and it was fun. The rink is ice cold, and doesn’t have much in the way of bleachers, but at some point you just appreciate having an ice rink. You don’t need luxury, just ice. Since it was the last game and there were things going on up in Burlington, we were missing a lot of players, but had enough to put a team together. It was supposed to be N’s last chance to play in goal, but since we were such a small team, that was not going to happen. N was good natured about it and didn’t complain, maybe because it was not my decision but the coaches. I have no clout in this family.

The game was fun, everyone had a great time and it was nice being with the team for one last game. Next season there will be a lot of changes, so it’s extra memorable since it’s our first season of hockey. On the way home, we decided to stop in Springfield to get some lunch. We hadn’t been back there in years, but last time we were there, we ate at this nice cafe on the main drag. When we got there, however, it was gone, replaced with a nicer restaurant, the kind that doesn’t serve lunch. Bummer. We decided to head home and have lunch at Stella’s.

It being a Saturday, the place was packed, so we had a wait a moment to get a table. We were thrilled, however, to see the Gs there having lunch, as well. Our town is en route to their town, so they stopped in to grab a bite, and had just ordered their food when we arrived. As soon as we got a table, LG joined us and chatted and ate. She is such a sweet and cute kid. I think she and A are bonding, as are she and N, but in different ways. We also saw our friends and neighbors in town, and I ran into DS. Of course we started talking hockey, and I learned that his wife, C, is not as enthralled as he and I are. Oh well, you can’t have it all.

We chowed with our good friends and as always, the food was outstanding. I love that place, it’s really too bad they don’t serve dinner. After our meal, we went home and chilled out after a long but great day of hockey and hanging with our friends. I love those kind of days.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks spih_2 for the pic.

No comments: