Saturday, March 31, 2012

Never Too Old to Learn Guitar

A has been taking guitar lessons for several years, and she’s fairly competent at it. This is not just my opinion, but one expressed by both of her teachers. The problem is, she suffers a bit from having some ability because it gives her confidence (which is a great thing) and makes certain things come easy to her (also a great thing). However, this also makes her confident to the point where she doesn’t apply herself as much as she should, which is not such a great thing. In other words, she doesn’t practice her guitar as much as she could or should, and things like that can come back to haunt you. I’ve become a firm believer that hard work and dedication will get you further in life than natural talent, and this is a lesson I’m hoping to instill in our kids, as well as myself.

With this in mind, I’d like to get A to practice more. There are two aspect to this problem. First off, she usually doesn’t have to practice her music until the day before or the day of her lesson. This is not a good way to learn. Secondly, she does not go back and practice material she’s learned way back when. This is also not an ideal situation.

So, I came up with a plan, which I’ve hatched in the past but let it slide, so the ball is in my court on this one. My plan is to learn guitar myself, and have A teach it to me. We can start with her early lesson plans and she can teach me the songs and chords. This way, I get some basic lessons, and she can review the stuff that she no longer practices. How’s that for a plan? It’s a win-win situation, if I can stick to my guns, which isn’t always easy.

Then again, nobody said parenting was easy. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to idit.biton for the pic.

No comments: