Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Early Hockey Practice and More Skating

Last week as N’s season wound down, we had an early practice followed by an open stick, so as usual, we had a long day of hockey, not that I’m complaining. Now for whatever reason, they scheduled the practice for 8:30, and I was wondering if we should just blow it off, but N was determined to go, as was A. How’s that for dedication?

To make it all the more interesting, there was an open stick right afterward, and we got word that the Gs were going to join us. Say no more. There was the full crew there for practice, which just goes to show you that hockey families don’t mess around. As much as we ponder the time commitment, we are definitely a dedicated bunch. I don’t think there are too many other sports where you’ll see this level of diligence.

Either way, I laced up my skates to help out, and I don’t know if it was too early in the AM or what, but I went on the ice and forgot to take off my skate guards. It’s a crazy sensation when you get on the ice, because your feet just slip out from under you and you can’t figure out why. I was holding all these water bottles that scattered across the ice. How embarrassing. To add to the drama, I tried to stand up again and fell over again. I just can’t do thing halfway.

Eventually I figured out what was wrong and fixed the situation, but not before putting on a show in front of the kids. Oh well, it’s good for entertainment value. After practice, we stuck around and did the open stick, and we got to play against the Gs. We could have done a Gs vs. the Ls, but we would have been in way over our heads, especially since most of the Gs are NHL caliber pros.

We had a blast, and A&N did a great job. They’re really loving the hockey thing, even if it’s consuming our lives. It’s one of those things that is easy to complain about (the parents, not the kids) but we’ll miss it when it’s over.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to debaj for the pic.

No comments: