Thursday, March 29, 2012

Karate Girl With Her Deadly Weapons

We finally made it back to karate on Monday after about a three week hiatus. During that time I was hoping to get a lot of practice in but failed miserably at that goal. I hate when that happens, but such is life. Either way, it was nice to be back, and we got to work out with Master H, who wants to have a test in the coming months. That means A will test for her purple belt, and I will go for my second brown, which is one step removed from a black belt. Yikes!

It was a small class, but the students that were there were the enthusiastic ones, so it made for a fun class. Master H worked with A on teaching her the sai kata, and we spent the class focusing on teaching the newer students the early katas. I worked with the youngest kid in the class, who is about 7, and let me tell you, it ain’t easy teaching really young kids things. Nothing seems to stick, and they lose patience immediatly. At some point you realize that whatever you tell them goes out the other ear. I experienced this coaching t-ball, as well. Kids shouldn’t start organized sports until they’re older, in my opinion.

I regret not having practiced more, and will work on that aspect of my discipline. Plus, the less experienced students that we are getting are enthusiastic and work hard, and are worthy sparring opponents, to boot. I feel I need to be better prepared when I get in the ring with them, so hopefully that’ll motivate me to practice more and get into shape.

Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: