Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bike Repair

When N got his cool new BMX bike, I was dreading assembling the thing because not only did he want it ready immediately, but I am not that well versed in putting bikes together. Fortunately, they shipped the thing pretty much ready to go. All I had to do was put the front tire on, hook the brakes up, and he was ready to rock and roll.

The only problem was, I wasn’t completely clear on how the brakes worked. I followed the instructions but brake cables can be a little touchy, and they weren’t working perfectly. Sure, the bike was functional, just not perfect. To his credit, N never complained, he rarely does, but it was apparent that something wasn’t right. Being the trooper that he is, and a cute one to boot, he tried to adjust the brakes on his own, but that didn’t resolve the problem, and may have made things a little worse. I didn’t say anything, but clearly something had to be done.

I took the bike over to Paradise Sports and they did some quick adjustments. I figured brakes would be a piece of cake for these guys, they’re pros, and it was, though it was more involved than I thought it was be because I really screwed things up when I assembled the thing. They got the brakes done, lubed up the necessary parts, and had it ready to roll in no time. Now the brakes work beautifully, the bike runs like a charm, and everyone is happy. What more can a person ask for?

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: