Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pet Sitters

Don't ask me how we get ourselves into these things (actually, go right ahead), but we are pet sitting for three of our friends, and it’s driving us crazy. Normally you wouldn’t think twice about watching a friend’s cat or dog, but somehow everyone we know left at the same time, and we’ve been running all around trying to maintain order.

It’s really a timing thing, and unusual. Even doing cat care is pretty easy, though changing litter is never fun. It’s walking the dog that complicates things, because that’s what takes up time, and we don’t have time over here. Plus, dogs need to be walked at least twice a day, preferably three times, and who’s got that sort of free time? Not me, that’s for sure.

To add to the drama, our friend’s cat is on his last leg, and any day now could be his last. He’s a great cat, and it’s sad, but it might require veterinary intervention, and I don’t feel so great about being the one to implement this option. Plus, they want to freeze the guy after it’s done for a proper burial when they return, which I completely understand, I just don’t want to be the one in charge. Of course, I’ve become the one in charge.

We got through most of it, and now we’re down to one set of pets, but this includes the dog, so it’s the most work. When you factor in all that’s going on, it’s just amazing to think of all that we have to do. On any given day, I walk the dog and feed the cats, then get on with our day, make and eat supper, clean up, and then head over to walk the dog and feed the cats. As you can imagine, all I want to do is lie down and take a nap, but I have to keep moving, because the animals need me. The funny thing is, once I’m walking the dog, it’s very enjoyable, he’s a good pup, it’s just the anticipation of walking him that kills me. After a long and exhausting day, it takes everything I have to motivate.

In fact, the other day, we were away for A’s track meet for literally 8 hours, stopped in the capital for supper, then on the way home, we stopped by our friends to take care of their cats, then came home and I went and took care of our neighbor’s cat. How’s that for pet sitting?

I’ll say one thing, I sure am looking forward to our friend’s return, in more ways than one. Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Craig Elliott for the pics.

No comments: