Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Website Revitalization

In light of my change in writing direction, I felt like I needed to revamp my website to make it more professional and less fun and whimsical. As you can imagine, this bummed me out, because I kind of like my website. To make the big bucks, however, you can’t mess around, so I decided to look into changing things. My first thought was to revamp my site, which would have been a bit of a chore, but not impossible. I also thought of converting it to WordPress, which is a more sophisticated platform. This meant learning a new program, and time and anguish, not to mention procrastination of monstrous proportions.

After toiling away at learning the program and failing miserably, I finally decided that the better way to go was to simply create an entirely new domain name and website. This would allow me to keep my site, which I’m fond of , and I can simply use my old program to create the new site. Everybody wins. In the meantime I can practice WordPress and get to know it, maybe even consult with a friend, but also get it up and running using iWeb.

Creating a new website from scratch isn’t easy, and I’m not even talking about creating the nuts and bolts. If anything, that’s the easier (not easy) part. The real challenge for me is in the aesthetics: how it’s going to look, colors, and layout. The fact that it needs to be professional makes it a little more straightforward, but still not easy. Also, I want it to be witty, not stiff, but not too witty such that potential clients won’t take me too seriously. Like life, it’s a balancing act.

The question then becomes, why do I get myself into these situations? As they say, with greater challenge comes greater reward, right? How much reward does a guy need?

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Mal for the pic.

No comments: