Monday, July 15, 2013

Corner Thingy

There’s a name for this corner piece of trim, and I’m sure my Mentor as well as the Amazing PR Man know what it is, but for now, I’ll just refer to it as the corner thingy, and it’s been a thorn in my side regarding the soffit/fascia. I have a few main immediate goals for the barn, and one of them is the soffit, because once it’s in, I can start putting in trim and then siding. That way we don’t have to look at Tyvek all day.

The soffit is a bit of a chore, but doable, as long as the fascia is complete. The fascia is complete for the most part, it’s just the corners that need to be completed. I’m guessing there are several ways of doing the corners, but a more elegant and decorative way is to construct a corner thingy. They do look nice, and we have one on our main house.

It’s a little tricky making it, especially for a weekend warrior as myself, who has limited time because he’s busy walking dogs and feeding cats. The first one was built by HH, and not only did she whip it out in minutes, but she did a beautiful job. When I tried to follow in her footsteps, I struggled a bit, and it came out a little off. It’s hard for me to get beveled cuts to line up with straight edges. After several minor adjustments, I got it done, but it took me awhile, and afterward I walked away. Unfortunately, the need to get it done didn’t go away when I did, so now I’m back to finish what I started.

I spent the better part of the morning making one, and it turned out okay. Feeling empowered, I built another, and it was a disaster. I think I rushed it too much and tried to cut corners, and the thing is mess. I went back and worked more slowly and methodically, and the results, thus far have been better. I will try to finish the last one today, and then I can finish the fascia, put in the soffit, and we are ready to roll on the siding.

That, of course, will be an interesting adventure, as well. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: