Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Critters Still An Issue

I foolishly thought that critters were no longer an issue in our lives, but silly me. I guess when you live in the wilds of New England, you're really just leasing space in their territory and you can't really expect for them to completely vacate the place. Case in point: gardening. When you really get down to it, gardening is really an exercise in pushing your luck against nature, and nature will always win.

We had a problem a few weeks back with critters (chipmunks, I believe) in the greenhouse eating our seedlings. They pretty much decimated our crop. I moved the seedlings back to our house and they've been growing fine, but then moved them back to the greenhouse because things grow there like crazy. The difference is truly amazing. I figured the critter situation was resolved, but then we started to see sunflowers growing all over the place, including our seedling pots. It turns out the chipmunks hoard seeds and hide them in the soil, wherever they can find it. What better place to find soil than in a greenhouse? It was kind of funny, actually, because there are all these random clusters of sunflowers popping up. The source of this was explained to me by the farmer who runs the garden/greenhouse, KN.

R got a kick out of it when she heard, though I'm not as thrilled about it. I think I need to get the plants into the ground sooner than later. Then all I have to worry about is groundhogs, which eat the entire plants. Nature wins again.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Dawn for the pic.

No comments: