Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More Frisbee Fun

We had more ultimate frisbee last week, and we dabbled a little in another frisbee activity, frisbee golf. There is a course nearby and I see it all the time but was never really compelled to take part. We see people frequently passing through who are doing it, but again, I never joined in. Of course, it took N's interest to get me involved. He somehow became interested in trying it, so I spoke with the resident everything-frisbee expert, JM, and he said he would lend us some discs and we could try it.

Needless to say, N was excited, and we had a chance last week during A's track practice. We dropped her off and headed over to the field. I didn't have high expectations but interestingly enough, I enjoyed it. N had a blast, he always does, but I figured I'd be just going through the motions until it was done. This was not the case. In fact, I approached it differently than I thought I would, and as a result, enjoyed it all the more. I attempted to be philosophical about it and rather than just try to slog through it as if it were a chore, I tried to see how I could be better at it and understand the subtle intricacies of the game. I realize how pretentious this sounds, but I've found the same is true for regular golf. Instead of just trying to hit the ball as hard and as far as I can, it makes it more interesting to put thought into the mechanics and technical aspects of the game. Then it becomes a rewarding challenge rather than a simple chore that you just want to finish.

Maybe this is a good way to approach everything in life. Call me crazy, but I think we are already there in terms of a lot of things in our lives. Why not apply it to frisbee golf, as well? Besides, it's more enjoyable when it's not just about winning and losing. One note: my old karate class was out there on the field and I felt bad that not only was I not taking part, but I was playing frisbee golf, instead. Oh well, maybe one day I'll go back to training to be a lethal killing machine.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Reid for the pic.

No comments: