Friday, June 6, 2014

Strawberry Fields

We are going full tilt on the gardening gig this season, and we may be getting in over our heads, but life is short, right? Besides, we need tomatoes, and the more the merrier. I am not planting as many tomatoes in our community garden plot because I have been told that it's a good idea to rotate your crops. Planting the same thing year after year sets you up for problems like pests and disease, though I wonder how you're supposed to accomplish this in a 10 foot plot.

Whatever be the case, I figured I wouldn't plant so many tomatoes this year, which is a bummer, but I found alternatives. I inquired about getting a second plot, but apparently they are all taken. There is, however, some space in the former strawberry plot. Last year someone planted strawberries for everyone to have and it was pretty cool, but it fell into neglect. This year they wanted to clear the plot and I was told I could take half. Not wanting the strawberries to be sacked, we volunteered to take them with us, but weren't sure where to plant them.

R and I brainstormed and decided to start a little strawberry patch in our former garden. I built a raised bad out of some leftover siding, and fortified the soil with compost and manure, and we were good to go. While I was at it, I decided to clear a small section of the garden to plant squash and, you guessed it, tomatoes (more on this later). In the meantime, the strawberries look like they're doing okay, not too stressed over the move.

I would love it if this worked out, because having fresh strawberries would be too cool for school. We'll see how this one goes.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Ladywood Road Allotment for the pic.

No comments: