Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Meditating On It

I started dabbling a little in meditation, mainly for the calming benefits and to get a better grip on the here and now. So far I sort of like it, and am definitely fascinated by the possibilities. I'm not a new-age afficionado (I just play one on TV) or anything like that, but there is something to be said about meditation, and even hard science sees some benefit to it. In a way, the proof is in the pudding - I've always found that when things get a little frenetic, stopping to take a deep, calming breath can make a huge difference. From what I can gather, meditation is all about focusing and controlling your breathing to slow things down and relax. Of course it goes much deeper than that, but for now, that's what I'm trying to get out of it.

I guess you could say I'm a "pop culture" meditator, at least for now. I am intrigued by it all, but am not quite ready to go "Walden" and drop out of society and live on a mountain top. Not for this week, at least... maybe next.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Renee Bertrand for the pic.

No comments: