Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Falling Back to Earth

Have you ever had it where things are working in your favor and then they're suddenly not-so-rosy? I seem to experience this a lot with writing. At one point, I felt like I was moving along in the right direction, head in the clouds, and now I feel like I'm back to square one. I feel like I'm getting the message that there is no easy solution to this and I need to keep my feet moving. Complacency will be the death of me.

Several weeks back I was contacted by a friend at the college who asked if I was interested in doing some freelance work for their website. You better believe I was. In a way, it was an ideal situation - freelance work that paid well and looked good on my resume. Plus, it was on assignment, so they were telling me what to write, as opposed to me coming up with ideas and pitching them to publications. The first assignment I did and didn't hear back for a bit, so I figured they either didn't like what I wrote or didn't need it. It eventually made its way into their site, but again, they didn't contact me after that. I was bummed but at least they showed some interest.

A couple of weeks later, they contacted me again and said they wanted me to cover two events. I was stoked, and assumed this meant that my work was adequate enough to warrant a call-back. Woo-hoo! I dutifully covered the events and submitted the pieces, but that was weeks ago, and they never made it onto their site. Once again, I figured they didn't like the work and were not interested in hiring me again.

So now I'm back to square one. I can't really inquire what the problem was (can I?), even though I know the people in charge. They all live in my town. It's out of my hands at this point, and I have to move forward, but it's a bummer nonetheless. Back to the drawing board, as the saying goes.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Jasmijn Hormann for the pic.

No comments: