Monday, June 2, 2014

The Long Day

I think I may have found some occasional employment over at the hospital as a standardized patient (SP), though it's a per diem position that is not even considered part time. That means that I'll work only when they need me, and I won't know when or how often that will be. Kind of a bummer, but I guess that makes it very flexible.

I'm not sure if this classifies me as employed, but it doesn't seem like it. I may have to investigate this more. One thing, however, is that the hospital doesn't mess around, even for lowly per diem workers like myself. Everyone hired by the hospital, from doctors to nurses to SPs has to attend an all day orientation, and it's a pretty big deal. I spent the entire day there, from 7:30AM to 4:00. They don't even provide lunch. It was like being in college all over again, except for 8 hours!

It worked out beautifully because the kids were away at camp, so watching over them was not an issue. I was able to meet R for lunch, as well, since she was at work during my session, which was fun. The orientation itself was quite a marathon, and basically introduces everyone to the rules, regulations, and philosophies of the hospital. When you get down to it, it's not much different from a regular business, and like a regular business, customers come first. In this case, customers are patients.

It was tiring and at points I thought a bit unnecessary, but all in all, it wasn't so bad, and you realize that the hospital is really working hard to maintain a happy work environment. Also, I did learn a lot of new information, especially the fact that the hospital is a pretty massive employer. It's hard to imagine who they manage it, but they do. One thing interesting was that the group was almost entirely women. There were a smattering of men, but for the most part, women are taking over the workplace. I hear about this all the time, and I guess I'm seeing it firsthand. Most of the guys I know tend to have jobs where they work with their hands (contractors, loggers, etc.) so maybe that explains their absence at the hospital. They don't want sissy desk jobs.

Either that, or they're at home watching TV with a beer. Whatever be the case, I manage to survive the day, and now I'm ready to move onto the next phase, whatever that may be. Stay tuned for more.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Bashi_B for the pic.

No comments: