Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Good to be Home

Even though we miss the Cape, it feels good to be back. Have to begin lessons again and get my act together and report to the state. Will get to that this week, if I don't forget, and I will forget. So much to do, so little time. Still have to get our cats and prepare for Rs parents visit, which I was informed of last night. Good news.

We spent the day yesterday just hanging out, and the kids woke up, much like they always do, hitting the ground running and coming up with all sorts of projects and fun things to do. I can't say enough how creative and imaginative the kids can be, and I attribute it all to parenting the hard way, i.e., not relying on the TV or overscheduling. I know this may seem counter-intuitive, but I really believe that hyper-scheduling your kids is the easier way out, it takes the responsibility of dealing with your kids out of your hands, versus spending time with them, one-on-one, and having to pay attention and answer their questions or engage them.

Either way, when A&N wake up and start up on a project, it makes me reluctant to force them to do workbook stuff or even eat and brush their teeth, they are so engaged and I want to encourage that. And, if you can believe this, it actually makes your life easier when you parent the hard way, at first.

This applies to all aspects of parenting, from cooking to raising them to entertaining them, even going on vacation, but more on this later. I'm still developing my thesis here.

Otherwise, things are good. Have to set up the Fall schedule, here. What to do, what to do. Want to get the kids their kittens before they're too old, a nice way to establish a home routine. We liked the idea of horses for the kids, and A will probably do dance and some art thing, but we'll see. N likes the idea of tennis, not so into dance, and I think they should both get roller blades. Could be fun.

In terms of friends, A is still enamored with SB, even CB is fully integrated into her own social network with school and I know that at any given moment she will completely bail on her. It's heartbreaking, but such is the life of kids.

Horses, cats, dance and music. I think the kids would benefit from all of this.

Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: