Monday, September 29, 2008

So Mysterious

For the life of me I can't figure out what's going on. Our homeschooling paperwork was all lost in the mail, both the year-end portfolio and the curriculum for next year. The conspiracy theorist in me would say that someone or something is out to get us. After all, how could two separate pieces of mail get lost? Either way, can't cry over spilled milk, I have to get the stuff to the office before my perceived deadline of Oct. 1. I'm still not sure if that's the real deadline, but I've put this off long enough. I want closure on my administrative obligations so we can get on with our lives. These are the sort of things that drive NHerites crazy, but I don't think state oversight is such a bad thing.

Somehow there are good homeschool vibes out there, but don't ask me why. Seems like homeschooling is just gaining more acceptance outside the extreme religious fringe, which is a good thing, though I'm always struck how religious homeschoolers can be. The whole concept of homeschooling just seems to be in the air, and it's going to come up I'm sure during this election as both Obama and Palin have commented on it.

Otherwise, things are good. R's parent's are gone, we miss them a lot, the kids have said as much, but our lives are gearing up for the next season and there is so much to do rather than sit around and pine or mope. A started horse riding and she loved it, and she made a new friend, H. We're still trying to find N's' thing, but I think he'll come around and try the horses. He needs to find his own thing. Still pondering the swimming and have to contact J and C at the pool.

The school part has been going well, though it's a struggle with N. He just can't sit still, though he clearly can grasp what we're trying to learn, i.e., he can most definitely read, he just doesn't always want to assert himself. In a school setting I'm sure the teachers would crush his spirit and dub him with an attention problem, which is ridiculous when you realize he's sharp as nails, just not keen on exerting himself and focusing. Oh well, we'll keep working at it without pushing him. He does like the math, however.

We saw CB two days in a row and when I spoke to the B's she said what she always says to me, that they're too busy and wish they could slow things down. Now I never know what to make of what AB says because I get a sense she's trying to live up to some expectations on our part. It seems like she's not wholly comfortable with some aspects of their lives and tries to somehow cover them up, which makes me uncomfortable because it doesn't matter to me. Either way, I'm not sure if she's only saying that to cover for the fact that we never hear from them now that school is in, but no matter. The kids got together and had fun, and CB was the nice sweet girl that she always is.

Which brings up an interesting concept, and I can't help but think of all the parents who overschedule their kids because some of them, a great many I believe, just can't handle quality time spent with their kids. They don't know what to do, so they do whatever they can to farm them out. I'm not saying that's the case with CB, because her parents are great, but it is with a lot of parents. They are uncomfortable being alone with the kids, and either find an activity, take them somewhere, or turn on the TV. It's tough.

Parenthood is tough. Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: