Monday, September 1, 2008

Back From The Cape

We're back from our vacation and getting back into the swing of things, never an easy thing to do, but it feels good to be home. The ride home was a little brutal, for some reason it seemed longer than usual. The trip back generally is much shorter for me, but this one had a bit of a bite. Traffic out of the Cape is hell, and though we left early and on a low traffic day, we still felt the pain. Don't know how people deal with it and would love to find a way around it.

The Cape was a blast, and again, we would all like to make it a regular thing. I'm going to surf, and the kids are going to learn. There, I've said it. Now it's in my mind and it's something to look forward to. I've already hit the board design sites and am planning my next board, though I can't be hasty. I've got a few big purchases coming up, the least of which is a chainsaw.

The best thing about the trip was as I mentioned we got to spend a lot of relaxed and fun time together, with little or no planning. This helps not only financially, but I think the time we spend together is that much more fun. How many families really just hang out and do nothing? I think about the whole over-scheduling thing and how families just can't sit still. There is ample opportunity in the Cape to find activities, and maybe that's what vacation is all about, but besides the expense, it seems to result in a lot of nervous energy and an inability to sit still and just listen to the sounds in your own head.

I'm not espousing on a better way, just a different one. I think kids do benefit from having quiet down time, as do adults, and the whole system is designed to suck up not only all your time, but it requires huge expenditures of money, not to mention time spent in your car, which sucks the life out of you, as well as gasoline spent. Maybe people should just stay home and play with their kids doing simple things, and whatever you do, don't turn on the TV.

Today is Monday, Labor Day, and even though it's a holiday, we'll get back into our normal routine. Fall is in the air, school is beginning, and you can feel it. The leaves are beginning to change and I can feel the subtle melancholia settling in on me.

We are working on getting some kittens for the kids. I think pets would be great for the kids to feel more settled during the school year when school starts again, a way to feel good about being at home, and I think pets are a good thing. R has been resistant and I completely understand, but I've stood my ground and she seems to have come around. Of course, I'm setting myself up for the big fall, as soon as something goes wrong, and it will surely go wrong, she will have my ass in a sling, but such is the life, and it wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last. I just hope the cats don't destroy the house too much. I think the kids will be thrilled... I think, or should I say, I hope.

I have more thoughts on the Cape and family vacations in general. Until then, thanks for reading.

No comments: