Saturday, September 6, 2008

Taking the High Road

Sure, we all know about rising above adversity, or whatever you want to call it, but I did have an issue with something that came up last month. Our friends, whose children are the same age as A&N, seem to have blown us off, and I'm not sure what to make of it. Their kids are friends with our kids, they've had several playdates and we do things as a family. Granted, we haven't spoken to them in months, and maybe it's just a consequence of our separate paths in life.

Even still, we don't talk regularly and they will still call us out of the blue and we'll get together. We regularly celebrate his birthday, which coincides with St. Patty's day, and I'll do the corned beef dinner and it's fun.

I will say this, our kids are not necessarily perfectly matched, and maybe they are cognizant of this fact, but they still manage to have fun. I think. Maybe I'm just being delusional.

So here's the deal-their daughter just had her birthday and they invited other kids, I don't know who or how many, but I do know they invited some because it was divulged to us by one of A's friends. The question is, why blow off A? I admit it bums me out, if only for the fact that they are, we are, friends? Apparently, it's not the first time. Oh well, I guess we just don't rate high enough to be included, and that's never fun. I mainly feel it for our kids, but maybe they are not aware of it, or just don't care. Maybe it's just an issue that I need to come to terms with.

Okay, I've said what I wanted to say and got it off my chest. I don't want this to be an issue, we're still friends, though it will forever be weird between us, at least for me.

Why does parenthood have to be so complicated? Until the next time, thanks for reading.

No comments: