Thursday, October 28, 2010

Crazy Busy and Squeezing It In

In the spirit of squeezing things in in what little you've got, not to mention living the life of a soccer mom, I managed to get a ton of stuff done while the kids were having their art class, operating under the prescient words of Eleanor Roosevelt who once said, "You must do the things you think you cannot do."

I've learned that since becoming a parent, the only way things get done is to just do it, even when you are not sure you can. If anything, that is all the more reason to try. I can't tell you how many times in the throes of doubt I didn't do something and kicked myself because in retrospect I could have pulled it off. This also applies to situations where I had the time, but felt too timid or pensive to even try (what a wimp).

Now that I'm a parent with little to no time, I seem to make the most of the little time I actually do have. Funny how that works. Somehow, like begets like. Too much free time makes me a sloth.

Either way, I had two hours, and made the most of it. After dropping off the recycling at the dump, I had to get new floor mats for the car and the only place nearby was the dealer in W. Leb. After going there, I headed over to Stateline to get R and A's skates sharpened. It takes about a 1/2 hour, so I had to come back and get them. During that time, I went to Stern's for produce, then the Coop for assorted items, then back to Stateline to get the finished skates.

I had about 45 minutes and had to make a decision. I had a check for my Mentor, and wanted to get it to him before he left for the season, which was going to be in 2 days. I could have waited until the next day, but again, when I put things off until a later date, I usually regret it. It would have meant making a detour to get back to the kids, but I could have a made a loop to pull it off.

I went for it, and as I headed over there, I started to sweat a little looking at the clock. I had to be back to get the kids, and then take them all to karate class with me. Talk about non-stop action. I got to Quechee quicker than I anticipated, ran inside to give him his stuff (he said, shaking his head "Boy, the life of a soccer mom."), then headed back over the hill. By the time I got back, I had more time than I thought I'd have, and even stopped back at home to drop off the groceries and skates.

I made back to class with about 10 minutes to spare, feeling good that I not only tried, but took care of business. Just goes to show you, when in doubt, go for it.

The kids had fun at karate, but what a long day for both children and adults. Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Geir Akselsen for the pic.

No comments: