Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sleep Issues

I have been having some sleep issues, and I know I'm not alone in this affliction. Besides fatigue, which I always assumed was just a natural by-product of being a parent, I also have a tendency to sleep on my back, and along with that come the usual problems, most of which are not good things on numerous fronts.

Well, in the spirit of dealing with matters worthy of my attention, I've made a concerted effort to change certain sleeping patterns, many of which I've embraced since I was a baby, and things seem to be looking up. The main thing is to sleep on my side, even though I savor that delicious sensation of drifting off on my back.

However, I've found the key is to not even start on my back. The moment I get into bed, I go to my side and since I'm so tired, I fall asleep fairly quickly. Also, I really psyche myself up before bedtime and tell myself, "No sleeping on your back." Hey, I know it sound corny, but I think it works.

As a consequence, I think I feel less tired. I say "think" because part of me believes it may be psychological. Whatever be the case, I do feel better, and I recall my dreams in the AM, something that doesn't seem to usually happen. Also, I have been having intense dreams, which again, I remember. Finally, I think R has noticed a change, though it's hard to say with certainty because at that hour, we're both exhausted, not to mention unconscious. This will require further examination.

Either way, just an interesting health note. Sleep is such an important thing, and I get so little of it that I have to make the most of the times that I do.

Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to nycjamie for the pic.

No comments: