Thursday, April 24, 2014

75% and Counting

I've been working like a dog to get as much of that wood pile done as possible before we go away. I am disappointed in myself for dropping the ball last year and not getting year two split and in the pile, though doing the market didn't help, nor did the difficulty in obtaining wood. Whatever be the case, I missed out on an entire year of drying for the wood. Bummer.

This year, I really wanted to avoid that, so as soon as the snow melted, I got to work. This winter was a particularly long and cold one, which I don't mind, but it meant burning more wood. In fact, we're still burning wood. I had cut and moved a lot of wood last fall thinking I'd get year 2 done before winter, but I failed. I did manage to split and stack about half of year two, which we are currently dipping into. I also had a lot of un-split logs up in the splitting area, so that made life easier. I also had cut and un-split logs down by the log-length stuff, so that was good, as well. Finally, I have a fair amount of log length in the cutting area. My hope is that between the un-split blocks and uncut logs, I will have enough to stack two year's worth of wood. My other goal is to avoid firing up the chainsaw until we get back, because I don't want the gas to sit around unused.

Anyway, about a week ago I started splitting and stacking and I've been going at it every since. I have actually managed to split almost all of the blocks, and I still have a ways to go to complete the pile. It's funny because usually when I move the blocks, the pile seems never-ending and fills me with despair. This time around, I was bummed when the pile dwindled, because I was hoping for enough blocks to avoid needing the chainsaw. It's looking like I'm going to fall short. Total bummer.

You do the best you can, right? I would say I'm about 80% done with this year's wood, and once we get back, I'll gas up the saw and see where we end up. If I can get all of next year's wood done, I would be so stoked, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch, or something like that.


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Sarah Laval for the pic.

No comments: