Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Getting Warmer and Garden Warrior

It's finally getting warmer and I, too, am celebrating the retreat of the snow. There's so much to be done in the yard, and I for one want to get started ASAP. Plus, once the weather is nicer, the kids can go outside to play. Then again, that applies to all of us.

On that note, we are also putting thought into our garden. There is an opportunity to get more ambitious, and the question becomes, do we want to take that leap? My first thought is yes, of course, but that can often lead to more stress down the line. Oh well, sometimes you just have to live with a little more stress.

Here's our problem. For the past few years we've had a plot in the community garden, and it's been fun and rewarding. The focus has been tomatoes, however, and I've been led to believe that you don't want to plant the same thing every year. Crop rotation is important for a number of reasons that I won't go into. I don't know what I would do if we didn't grow tomatoes, because that's really all I want. R and the kids are happy to plant a greater variety of things, but for me, it's all about tomatoes. What to do?

It dawned on me that we could get another plot. The farm across the street from us does a community garden, and it doesn't get more convenient in terms of location. It would mean more work, but R was amenable to the idea that the tomato farm would be my gig and she would look after the community plot, which would cater more to her and the kid's preferences. Plus, I was told by JM that the farm gives you access to their greenhouse, and that alone makes it worthwhile. I think I'm going to do it. First I have to get my seeds going, which I am determined to do this year. We'll see how this goes.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to John Reindhardt for the pic.

No comments: