Saturday, April 19, 2014

Snow Tire Revelation

I just had the summer tires put on our car and it dawned on me that R went the entire winter with just all-season radials. Now there were a couple of times where they were not adequate, and I was there for one of them. We were going to visit our friends and her car got about 75% up the hill and literally slid all the way back down. Truth be told, I don't know if I would have made it up, we had freezing rain and the hill is steep.

Either way, it's expensive to buy snow tires, and to have them installed and removed twice a year. I think they go help, especially since I have the kids with me, but we buy fairly high end snow tires, and I'm beginning to wonder if that's not necessary. I know several people who buy whatever is on sale, which of course speaks to my heart. I took the advice of our former neighbor in the Red Barn, CS, who said buy the best snow tires you can afford. This seems like sound advice, though perhaps a bit of overkill, especially when you consider the source. CS is probably not the best person to take advice from, especially when it comes to matters involving parenting and relationships.

My point is, maybe we don't need top of the line snow tires, especially since R made it through the winter, and it was a long, cold, snowy, brutal winter, with all season radials. Maybe we could get by with moderately priced snow tires, which would probably not be as effective as top of the line models, but would surely work better than summer tires.

Something to think about next winter, even more so since our current snow tires have worn out and need to be replaced.


Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Wes for the pic.

No comments: