Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Plot Development

Due to the fact that we are crazy garden warriors, we are committing to a second garden plot in the community garden. There's no stopping us now. The reason we got a second plot is because I've been informed that you're supposed to rotate your crops. There are adverse consequences to planting the same thing year in and year out. This is what you see in industrial agriculture, where they only grow corn or soy. It damages the soil and creates a situation ripe for disease or pests. It's all so complicated, all I want are tomatoes.

The past two years I did just that, growing virtually nothing but tomatoes, and it was fine. I'm not sure how critical it is on such a small scale, but our decision to diversify was aided by the fact that R and the kids want to grow other things, including fun stuff like peas and corn.

The second plot is actually closer. The farm also does an amazing job of hosting local gardeners, providing mulch, compost, and a greenhouse, which is a bonus. They hosted a welcome brunch that we attended last weekend (I'm never one to pass up free food) and all of us walked over. It was really nice, we got to chow down, and the kids (and myself) got to eat apple pie for breakfast. How often does that happen?

After brunch, we got down to business. Our plot has been dormant for a couple of years, so there is a ton of weeding that needs to be done. That will be my job. I have started numerous tomato plants, and I will eventually bring them to the greenhouse, where they offered to water them if we are away. They also have potting soil and tons of seeding pots, which we are free to use. Once we transplant, they have tomato cages and all sorts of gardening tools that are available to everyone. They also provide straw for ground cover. It's pretty incredible.

Now we have to get to work. As I mentioned, we have the seeds going, and hopefully something will come of it. Otherwise, we can always pick up seedlings at the market or from friends, but I like the idea of doing it ourselves. Not only do you save money, but it makes me feel more like a real gardener, and that's what it's all about, right?


Until the next time, thanks for reading, and thanks to Amy Urquhart for the pic.

No comments: