Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Robots, Race Cars, Lacrosse, and All Sorts of Fun

I forgot to mention that last week, after a busy day of lacrosse and girl's socializing, we headed over to the Thayer School of Engineering at Dartmouth to attend their annual open house. We figured it would speak to the kids, and sure enough, it did. It was a complicated evening because N had lacrosse, and A had to tag along but it worked out perfectly because all of her hockey buddies, including her BFFs, all play lacrosse and have brothers that play lacrosse, so they all end up at the same place. It's beautiful, actually.

It sure makes my life easier because the kids are on auto pilot. The most complicated part is meals. Since we were on a tight schedule, I decided that Subway BLTs in the car were in order. I picked up the sandwiches en route to lax, and then kept them in an ice chest while the kids had fun. N's practice ended at 6:30, and the Thayer open house ended at 8:00, so we didn't have a lot of time, but also didn't want to miss it. I gathered the kids up and we headed over, arriving at Dartmouth around 7:00. Mom was going to see a movie from 7-9, so we were going to meet her at the observatory. In case you didn't know this, Dartmouth has an observatory, and they open it to the public from 6-9, weather permitting, but more on this later.

The engineering event was cool and fun, the kids were definitely intrigued by some of the stuff, especially robots and machines, while some of the bio-engineering stuff was a little beyond their comprehension. The event culminated in a room with a 3-D printer and all sorts of machine shop stuff, and it was packed. We saw a lot of people we knew, and it was a nice way to spend a Friday night. There was an electric race car that apparently races in a big event down south, so I thought it would be a cool thing to check out.

The engineering gig finished around 8:00, and we headed over to the observatory, but it was cloudy so it was closed. Bummer. We decided to meet mom at the movie theater, and we had about 30 minutes to kill, so we walked around the campus and just relaxed. Mom appeared around 9:00, pleasantly surprised to see us.

We went home and went to sleep, tired after a long day and needing rest for our big trip, which we are currently on, but that's a story for another time.

Until then, thanks for reading, and thanks to Peyri Herrera for the pic.

No comments: